How, What, Why
Why is SMART VENT so smart?
How it Works
The SMART VENT door is latched closed until flood water is present. Rising flood water activates the internal floats, which unlatch and open the door. Smart Vent’s 3-inch clearance, when open, helps let flood debris pass through unlike a typical air vent that will clog.
WARNING: "Any louvers, blades, screens, and faceplates or other covers and devices should be selected or specified so as to minimize the likelihood of blockage by small debris and sediment. Where experience has shown that a particular device or type of device has been blocked or clogged by flood debris or sediment, use of such devices should be avoided." -ASCE 24-14 Pg. 45 (commentary)
What is a Flood Vent?
Smart Vent’s line of ICC-ES Certified, Engineered Flood Vents protect houses and buildings during floods by preventing hydrostatic pressure buildup that can destroy walls and foundations. This mitigation technique, referred to as Wet Floodproofing, allows floodwater to freely flow through an enclosure such as a crawlspace or garage.
When Are Flood Vents Required?
The NFIP Regulations and Building Codes require that any residential building constructed in Flood Zone Type A have the lowest floor, including basements, elevated to or above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE).
Enclosed areas are permitted under elevated buildings provided that they meet certain use restrictions and construction requirements such as the installation of flood vents to allow for the automatic entry and exit of flood waters.
This wet floodproofing technique is required for residential buildings.
With commercial buildings, elevation and the use of wet floodproofing techniques is the suggested form of mitigation. This technique can be a more cost-effective solution, and reduces the impacts the building has on surrounding floodplain in comparison to dry floodproofing techniques.
SMART VENT Advantage
- Reliable, 15+ years of experience in flood venting protection with over 80 million square foot covered.
- Made in the USA out of flood resistant stainless steel construction.
- ICC-ES Certified, FEMA Accepted models ensure approval with Code Officials, Surveyors, and the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Patented internal activation float system keep our flood vents rodent resistant.
- Models for every application including retro-fit projects.
- Certified Floodplain Managers provide industry leading service.
- Our Flood Risk Evaluator™ (F.R.E.) division ensures you receive proper flood insurance rating with your Smart Vent purchase.
Check out our FAQs
Want More Information?
Check out our online training courses on McGraw-Hill's Continuing Education Center:
Check out Certs & Codes
Still Have a Question?
Contact our Technical Support Office: